Saturday, December 10, 2016

'thoughts' for Dec.10, 2016

COMING - BUT ALREADY HERE!

Saturday, 2nd Week of Advent


You were destined, it is written, in time to come
to put an end to wrath before the day of the LORD,
To turn back the hearts of fathers toward their sons,
and to re-establish the tribes of Jacob.   Sirach 48:10


The challenge in today's scripture is a big one!  "to put an end to wrath before the day of the Lord".  It covers a wide area – from irritations to anger to full blown wrath.  I don't think God is speaking about justified anger as in being angry at the people who abuse children or spouses or crimes against innocent people, etc.  


With the holidays coming up, we put ourselves under a lot of pressure to do things perfectly and we often put unreasonable expectations upon ourselves and others.  Then our tempers are short.  Throw in old wounds and hurts that surface when family gathers and we have times when we behave more like little children instead of adults.


I invite you to get ahead of the game today.  Make a plan.  Recognize the old hurts and wounds and who pushes your buttons.  Figure out a way to sidestep the triggers.  Have a line you plan to say – to yourself if not to them.  "It's in the past."  "It's time to let go."  "I'm doing the best I can."  "God, help me!"  "I'm sorry you still feel that way."


Ask God how he wants you to handle the situation.


Take a good look at the expectations you put on yourself at this time of the year.  When I would go home to visit my mom over Christmas she would be busy cooking in the kitchen or hiding in her room wrapping presents – trying to make everything perfect.  All I wanted was to spend time with her…..  to enjoy her presence instead of receiving presents.  I often went home with a feeling of loneliness because I didn't connect with her in the short time I was there.


Ask God how he wants you to handle the situation.


Write those insights down and keep it where you will see it until it is becoming part of you and right there in your consciousness when you need to use it.


This is how the presence of God is deepened in our world!

No comments:

Post a Comment